About The Bishop’s Table
Farnham is well known for its outstanding Georgian architecture. The Bishop’s Table Hotel is just one of many fine Georgian buildings in West Street, built in the middle of the 18th century, and originally used as a training school for clergy. It is full of original architectural features, which we have been most careful to preserve. It is set in a prominent position next to the library in West Street, one of the finest Georgian Streets in Surrey.
CLICK HERE TO BOOK A ROOMThe building was once the home of The Marquis of Lothian who purchased it in 1808. He constructed a pathway leading down through the beautiful two acre garden leading to the impressive St Andrew’s Parish Church. The Marquis is also reputed to have formed the first ladies cricket team in Farnham! The hotel was used until 1919 for the education of Anglican Clergy, the famous sculptress Sheila Mitchell lived here during the 20th century.
The Bishop’s Table Hotel and Restaurant at number 27 West Street was first recorded as a building in 1750 but it’s foundations are certainly earlier than that date! In 1808, it was purchased by William John Kerr, 5th Marquis of Lothian, who had slowly whittled his fortune away! He was however reputed to have started the first ladies cricket team in Farnham.
In 1818, three years after his death, the property passed to the Newnham family of physicians who had arrived in Farnham in 1780. Dr William Newnham (1790-1865) formed a patnership with fellow physician Samuel George Sloman (1817-1897) who had moved to Farnham in 1841. Sloman married a daughter of Dr Newnham and took over the property after Newnham’s death, and Dr Herbert Sloman (1853-1927) acquired the house in turn in 1897.
CLICK HERE TO BOOK A ROOMDr Sloman sold the property to the Church of England in 1898, and from July 1899 until 1919 the premises, in conjunction with number 26, served as a training college for the clergy as well as an unlicensed guesthouse, known as the Bishop’s Hostel, under Canon Bertram Keir Cunningham (1871-1944). After passing through numerous owners (and was the residence of renowned Sculptor, Sheila Mitchell (1926 – 2006) in the 1950’s), in 1963 it was converted into a small guest house called Newnhams Guest House, and then a quality hotel by John Henry Virgo (1916-1964). He gave it its present name from the fact that when it had been a clerical training college the guesthouse was occasionally used by the Bishops of Winchester for entertaining visitors in town. In the early 1970’s the hotel boasted a casino and outdoor swimming pool. The Casino was converted to extra bedrooms in the early 1980’s, and the pool was left in disrepair. The current owners purchased the hotel in 2007, and in March 2017 completed the stunning renovation to produce the delightful 24 bed Boutique Hotel and Function Room for all visitors to enjoy. p.